The use of steroids in medical treatments and other areas has accelerated over the years. The growing popularity is because of the fast results that they give whether it is for diseases or for making some good muscles. People are using steroids day and night without even thinking about their possible side effects. This article is particularly about those people who are using steroids for their leisure goals and not to treat some fatal disease. It will talk about the major side effects that steroids have on our bodies.
- Steroids are known to have an adverse effect on the brain of a user. People who use steroids a lot have shown great mood swings in them, primarily anger outbursts and extremely violent acts. Other than this, steroids increase the level of anxiety and depression in a person. Sleep problems are also faced along with a surprising issue of split personality disorder. People who have been using steroids have gotten addicted, and this will cause them a lot of trouble in later life.
- The visual effects of steroids are also seen. Steroids lead to higher water retention, and this creates rather puffy cheeks. Females who use steroids experience more and fast appearance of facial hair. Acne can also form not just on the face, but also on other parts of the body.
- Steroids have also caused severe eye damages. Some people face temporary eye infections, while others suffer long-term problems like cataract and glaucoma.
- Steroids increase the production of DHT which basically weakens the hair follicles. Afterward, those follicles are able to produce only light hair and in less quantity. So baldness similar to the male pattern is experienced by users of both sexes.
- Steroids cause damage to the stomach as well. Users feel as if their stomach has bloated and they feel uneasy all day long. Sometimes nausea is also experienced along with occasional vomiting showing traces of blood. This eventually then badly affects the health of the patient.
- Steroids cause permanent damage to the heart as well. People don’t give much importance to it unless the problem actually grows. Steroids cause a lot of heart diseases, and this thing becomes evident when the cholesterol level increases. Blood pressure also becomes a major issue, and blood clotting in blood vessels starts to happen. The risk of heart attack increases along with heart failure due to pumping of clotted blood.
- Steroid users eventually face a weak immune system. This is not a common issue because it reduces their capability to fight with all other diseases.
- Steroids are also known to cause Oedema in which the user appears to be bloated. This puffiness is on the cheeks, fingers, hands and ankles.
- Steroid use brings adverse effects to the user’s skin. The texture of their skin gets really rough which can be noticed by just looking at it. The skin may also get red with the formation of acne on the back and front both. Stretch marks may also appear after some time.